Do you want to start off your day with a cup of nutrient-dense beverage, which energizes you, stimulates your metabolism, boosts focus and improves brain function? Try a cup of Bulletproof Coffee! You may think coffee with butter is gross - on the contrary, it is the most delicious, creamy hot beverage ever! It tastes like creamy latte. The best part: it makes you so satiated the whole morning while you still enjoy the benefits of intermittent fasting.
If you come to our Healtholicious test cafe in Lad Phrao 101/3, we can make you a perfect cup for you to try. If you don't like coffee, we can also offer you alternatives with organic matcha powder or yerba matte (which taste delicious!). But if you live far away and cannot bear the Bangkok traffic, you can now get all the ingredients you need in our shop to make these delicious beverages at home to kick start your brain for the day!
Now we stock all the ingredients to make supremely tasty Bulletproof Coffee and Matcha. You can either order individual ingredients, or get yourself a trial set. The set provides more than 10 cups of coffee and matcha, and you will have more than enough grass-fed ghee and MCT oil to enjoy for cooking.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee at home
So how do you make it? It is very easy. Once you have the ingredients, you just need something to brew a cup of coffee and to blend it with the rest of the ingredients.
- The coffee beans in the trial set are already ground but you need something to make coffee with it. Try experimenting how strong you like your coffee for the Bulletproof cup. If you find the buttery taste overwhelming, make your coffee stronger, or vice versa. We use 10g in our cafe and it is quite strong!
- If you have a blender, you can use it to make a very lovely creamy Bulletproof coffee. Make sure you warm the blender with hot water before you blend, otherwise you end up having 'warm' coffee, which does not taste good. And the oil tend to stick in the blender so you need a small spatula to get everything out.
- If you do not have a blender, or you want to make it quickly at the office/school, or even when you are travelling, get a piece milk former from Daiso to blend the ingredients together. It is not a perfect solution but it will still do the job. The small portable blender is also a good choice but we recommend you to get a powerful one!
Here is how you can make it!
The more ghee you take, the more you can be satiated. However, watch out for MCT oil! We recommend you start with half a teaspoon and gradually increase the amount. MCT oil could cause some digestive discomfort if taken excessively... they call it 'disaster pants". Eventually you can increase the amount of oil up to a tablespoon or more. But please be careful, take it slow!
You may wonder why we use MCT oil instead of coconut oil, or ghee instead of butter. Here is why.
MCT oil vs Coconut oil: many say you can use coconut oil instead of MCT oil to make a Bulletproof Coffee or Matcha. Yes it is true, but the brain boosting effect will be much stronger with our MCT oil, which only contains the most potent, ketone-creating C8 and C10 MCT oils. See below for more information.
Grass-fed ghee: we only use home-made, grass-fed ghee at Healtholicious cafe and this is what we offer in our shop, too. Why? Because it is BETTER than butter!
- Virtually dairy free: ghee is clarified butter. All the good stuff minus lactose and casein. It is better for the digestion and cause less irritation and inflammation to your body.
- More nutrient-dense than butter. It is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamins D, E and K. It also has twice the short- and medium chain fatty acids that butter has. Oh don't forget butyrate! Ghee has more butyrate than butter does, which can keep your gut lining and metabolism in good shape!
Our MCT Oil consists of only caprylic and capric acid!
Many websites suggest that you can coconut oil for Bulletproof Coffee, which also contains MCT oil, but this is slightly misleading.
- There are four different MCT oils in coconut oil: C6, C8, C10 and C12.
- C12 or lauric acid behaves like a long chain triglyceride, i.e. when you consume it, you do NOT get the fast ketone energy from it that you can get from C8 or C10.
So in order to get the maximum benefit from the Bulletproof Coffee, it is important to find the right MCT oil, which only contains C8 and C10, the most effective form of MCT oils. To demonstrate the potency, this is how much more they are efficient to produce ketone bodies compared with pure coconut oil.
C8 (caprylic acid): 6% of coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon of caprylic acid = 18 tablespoons of coconut oil
C10 (capric acid): 9% of coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon of capric acid = 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
Of course C8 (caprylic acid) is the most potent MCT oil, but for now we do not stock pure caprylic acid as it is considered to be industrial disinfectant and the FDA does not consider it as food. If you try to import it from the US or elsewhere, you may get lucky but the customs will probably confiscate your expensive package. It is also more expensive than C8/C10 mix, but we do not feel so much difference and it is more affordable.
Perfect Coffee Beans for Bulletproof Coffee.... from Thailand
Single-estate organic coffee from Chiang Rai
We source our organically grown beans from a private single-estate coffee farm in Chiang Rai. We constantly test different beans, but those from this farm have wonderful full-body and only mildly acidic. The beans are all-rounder, taste great for Americano, espresso and cappuccino! You can get them in medium
and dark roast
right now, but the Bulletproof Coffee Set contains medium roasted, ground beans.
Hand-sorted and roasted on demand
In order to keep the coffee beans as fresh as possible in the humid climate in Thailand, we buy green beans and store them in our cool room. We roast them on demand to keep them as fresh as possible. This way it reduces the risk of having mold, which could produce harmful mycotoxin.
One thing about our coffee beans - we hand-sort them TWICE, before and after the roasting process, to make sure that all the beans are roasted evenly, and remove all damaged beans. This improves the taste of the brewed coffee significantly.
When you put 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee, and if your coffee tastes weak, the butter will certainly overwhelm your beverage, which may not taste great. We like using good amount of coffee so that the coffee would be well-balanced in terms of taste, texture and scent.
So did we convince you well to try making a Bulletproof Coffee at home? Contact us if you have any questions!