Biohackers' Organic Coffee (Chiang Rai, Thailand) 250g
This variant is currently sold out
- TRULY HIGHLANDS COFFEE: beans are directly sourced from a family owned single estate Arabica coffee farm from the highest altitude of Mae Suai (1200-1500m) in Chiang Rai
- COMPLEX FLAVORS: only possible at high altitude due to slower growth of the plants & more energy allocation on developing more flavor precursors
- ORGANIC: decades of dedicated organic farming practice since 1970s.
- MINIMAL MYCOTOXIN: the hand-picked ripe cherries go through the washed process, which eliminates most of the mold and mycotoxins. The green beans are stored in a dry, cool place at the origin (at 1200m above the sea level)
- PROFESSIONALLY ROASTED AT THE ORIGIN: perfectly stored green beans under optimal conditions are roasted on demand at the origin by the family members of the farm who taught themselves to be a master roaster.
- MAXIMIZED BENEFIT TO FARMERS: no middlemen between us. Farmers earn more money by adding value by themselves.
We wanted to have coffee which was (1) organically grown without chemicals (2) properly processed & stored (3) and taste good. While there are more and more certified organic coffee farms in Thailand, the prices are ridiculously high, and it is never the farmers who actually profit from the certification. Often they are more burdened by numerous compliance guidelines, and it is impossible to do so unless backed by trading companies who are willing to invest in heavy marketing for the export market.
When we first spoke to the farm owner, we asked him whether his farm uses chemicals and pesticides. His answer: “We cannot afford to use those chemicals on our land! We know how to take care of our coffee!” This was probably the most convincing argument we have ever heard and ever since, we have been enjoying their coffee.
The family is so passionate about their family coffee business, the sons taught themselves how to roast coffee beans to perfection. They are also qualified barista who make the most amazing cups of coffee. The family invested in post-harvest equipments which add more value to their coffee. Their beans are well-sorted, always perfectly roasted on demand. The warehousing facility ensures good airflow for optimal storage of the green beans, very dry and cool.
Give them a chance and try their wonderful coffee. At least you know that you will be paying to support the farmers directly, and not for excessive marketing efforts by intermediaries.
We offer both ground (freshly ground on order) and whole beans. Choose from:
- BIOHACKERS’ CHOICE (LIGHT ROAST MIXED WITH DARK ROAST)
- LIGHT ROAST
- MEDIUM ROAST
- DARK ROAST
Our most popular roast is MEDIUM ROAST, it has the best combination of flavors and aroma. However, if you are looking to get the best health benefits from coffee, then try our BIOHACKERS’ CHOICE, which mixes light and dark roasted coffee in a 1:1 ratio. The level of bioactive compounds in coffee are influenced by the degree of roasting:
LIGHT ROAST: contains higher levels of CHLOROGENIC ACIDS than dark roast. It is the most powerful anti-inflammatory compound. CGA makes cells more responsive to insulin, which helps explain how coffee fights diabetes. CGA also protects DNA from damage, which helps explain the link to reduced risk for certain cancers.
DARK ROAST: contains higher levels of compounds such as melanoidins, N-methylpyridinium, and Niacin i.e. Vitamin B3 (1 cup of strong coffee contains 3-6mg) . N-methylpyridinium appears to prevent your stomach cells from producing excess acid, i.e. easier on the stomach.
This means, medium roasted coffee has significantly reduced antioxidants than light roast, and the temperature does not allow trigonelline to be degraded to form niacin. You have the least amount of beneficial bioactive compounds compared to light and/or dark roasted coffee.
We also have organic instant coffee if you do not have a machine to make coffee.
[HOW TO BREW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF OUR COFFEE]
First, moisten the fine grounds with warm water. Then slowly add water of increasing temperature. Why? The tastier aromatic compounds dissolve first at lower temperature, and as they are removed, the hotter water gets the progressively less soluble things. This makes a very intense, dark, almost opaque extract. Optimally, half a cup of dry coffee to make 2 cups of liquid. The temperature of the coffee does not have to get above 45 degrees Celcius.